A cognitive or neurological disorder may not be noticeable at first, but it can subtly progress until it is impacting an individual’s quality of life in a significant way. Dr. Karim Dhanani and the professionals at the Centre for Biological Medicine in Richmond Hill, ON understand how devastating this can be. We want to help you identify these disorders and what causes them so that you can better understand your treatment options. You are warmly invited to contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more!
Neurological Disorders and Cognitive Capabilities
These disorders can be caused by a variety of factors. Some may be due to imbalance in the womb, and others are due to a lack of proper nutrients and interaction during important stages of cognitive development. Substance abuse and physical injury may also be causes of a cognitive disorder.
Different disorders include:
- Dementia – a decline in a person’s way of thinking, including memory loss, problems concentrating, and loss of thinking capabilities.
- Delirium – a change in thinking that develops over a short period of time and includes a loss of awareness of a person’s surroundings, situation, and ability to think clearly.
- Amnesia – memory loss without a significant loss of other thinking abilities.
Potential Causes and Symptoms
Cognitive disorder signs vary according to the particular disorder, but some common signs and symptoms overlap in most disorders. Common symptoms include:
- Confusion over identity
- Impaired judgement
- Loss of short-term/long-term memory
- Confusion in general
- Poor coordination
Of course, there are many causes of the above disorders. Some to consider include:
- A head injury – can be a source of disorders like dementia or amnesia.
- Diseases and infections – bacteria, viruses, and disease conditions can affect the brain and lead to a cognitive disorder.
- Brain tumors – they can grow and penetrate the areas of the body where they are found. Malignant tumors may grow and spread to other areas, even once they have been removed. A tumor may push up against the skull and cause issues with the area it is located in in the brain.
- Exposure to toxic substances – neurotoxins can affect the functioning of the brain, leading to dysfunction. The use of alcohol or drugs like cocaine or heroin can result in significant cognitive dysfunction or the development of a cognitive disorder.
- Lifestyle factors – not eating properly or exercising, alcoholism, etc. A simple B1 deficiency can cause issues with memory, and those issues can eventually become permanent if the diet is not overhauled and the deficiencies fixed.
The Benefits of Seeking Professional Treatment
Seeking professional treatment for a neurological disorder and declining cognitive capabilities can mean getting to the bottom of the cause, if it is not already known. It can be difficult to assess certain symptoms and conditions, as many of them overlap. Professional treatment typically means getting a faster diagnosis and perhaps being able to make some progress and recover. The sooner professional treatment is sought out, the more chance there is to make a permanent recovery. Even if there is no cure for the issue, professional treatment could help to get symptoms under control and allow the patient to live a higher quality of life overall.
If you suspect you’re dealing with a neurological disorder, don’t hesitate to reach out to the professionals at the Centre for Biological Medicine in Richmond Hill, ON. We can use advanced diagnostic technology to analyze and then treat your case in a way that is customized just for you. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and get started.