How do we treat mold sickness?
It’s not about the disease, it’s about the terrain.
Mold is something that many people can come into contact with at some point in their lives at varying levels. Mold is a biotoxin that is created through water damage and can often be found in water-damaged homes. Anyone can become ill when exposed to strong levels of mold but often can feel better once removed from the situation. However, mold sickness can continue if you are exposed for long periods of time, and this can be harmful to you.
This is why it helps to know the potential causes and symptoms you may experience when it comes to mold sickness. It also helps to know there are treatments available when you visit the Centre for Biological Medicine. To learn more, contact us today and schedule a consultation!
The Potential Causes of Mold Sickness
Although mold and bacteria can be found everywhere, for it to be active and for it to grow and become harmful, it needs moisture. This is why it is apparent in some people’s homes where there is water damage due to leaks or issues with the property. It can also become apparent in other properties like business premises or even a school. It is mostly dependent on the age of the building, the damage, and also if there is moisture enabling the mold to grow. This is when the exposure can become airborne and cause problems to your health.
Often, the case is that you can remove yourself from the situation and feel better, fixing the mold problem so that you are no longer exposed. However, long-term exposure, especially when you may not have been aware of it, can cause you to struggle with mold sickness.
There are many different symptoms that you can experience when it comes to mold sickness. Here are some of the common ones:
- Fatigue and weakness – much like you feel when you have a sickness bug
- Memory problems, difficulties with concentration, and problems with executive function – this is because of the effect it can have on your general well-being
- Disorientation and confusion
- Lightheadedness and/or vertigo
- Muscle aches, cramping, and joint pains – often very similar to how you feel with flu-like symptoms
- Hypersensitivity to bright light, blurred vision, burning or red eyes, and tearing in your eyes
- Cough, asthma-like illness, shortness of breath, and chronic sinus congestion – this can often be one of the most telling signs, especially if you only struggle inside somewhere infected
- Air hunger or unusual shortness of breath at rest – again similar to the above
- Chronic abdominal problems including nausea, cramping, and secretory diarrhea
Why Seek Professional Treatment?
You may not even realize that you are struggling with mold sickness. But it is paramount that you take action, especially when you realize that you could have had a long-term exposure to mold. There are different options that can be considered when you visit the Centre for Biological Medicine, and fixing the main issue such as the damage is the important factor. Contact us today to schedule an initial consultation and learn more about your condition!